Re: Proposed new script for Quechua?

From: António Martins-Tuválkin (tuvalkin@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2006 - 12:36:37 CST

    On 2006/11/23, James Kass <thunder-bird@earthlink.net> wrote:

    > Tawa is apparently the Quechua word for "four".

    It is. In this context it is an abbreviation of "Tawatinsuyu", the autonym
    of the Inca Empire, meaning "four areas" or "four quarters". See map at
    < http://www.flagspot.net/flags/xi(.html >.

    > After looking around a bit more with Google and not finding any ejemplos
    > or muestras, it looks like the script might not be catching on. Maybe
    > they just need a font? (winks)

    At < http://qollasuyu.indymedia.org/es/2004/02/553.shtml >, a poster
    scan < http://qollasuyu.indymedia.org/images/2004/05/758.jpg >. It says
    "tawaintisuyu", which AFAIK is a misspelling — unless this putative script
    has visual order issues to note. (Hm, we did not need that! ;-)

    --
    António Martins-Tuválkin
    <antonio(a)tuvalkin.web.pt>