Strange Browser Behavior

From: Tom Gewecke (tom@bluesky.org)
Date: Mon Jan 08 2007 - 08:46:29 CST

Recently I found my browser (Firefox 2 Mac) converting a numerical
character reference outside the Unicode code space into a sequence of
Unicode codepoints, instead of simply "not defined." I would be
grateful if anyone could tell me whether the Win Mozilla/Firefox or IE
7 browsers do this too. A test page is here:

http://homepage.mac.com/thgewecke/2297277.html

It looks to me like the sequence being produced in this particular case
is actually FEFF E083 DDBD. If anyone has an idea about what kind of
process could translate � into that sequence or its UTF-8 or
binary equivalent, I'd be interested to hear it.