Re: Strange Browser Behavior

From: Tom Gewecke (tom@bluesky.org)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2007 - 18:35:14 CST

On Jan 9, 2007, at 2:43 AM, Luke Onslow wrote:

> Isn't this discussion again implementation related rather than
> Unicode? This should be discussed with Microsoft Inc. and Mozilla
> Foundation.

Actually it seems to be only Mozilla, and another poster indicated it
will soon be fixed. The behavior does illustrate the kind of strange
things that can happen when some of the bounds and other definitions of
the Standard are accidentally ignored. In my particular Firefox case,
further tests indicate that there is another bug which seems to allow
any character U in the BMP (usually followed by a question mark) to be
generated by an NCR in "hyperspace" using the formula:

xNCR = (xU + x2800)*x400 + x10000

An example spelling UNICODE can be seen here:

http://homepage.mac.com/thgewecke/uncrs.html