Re: Regulating PUA.

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2007 - 15:39:19 CST

    Mike wrote on Sunday, January 21, 2007 6:56 PM

    > When I implemented collation, I needed to define code points for
    > the various contractions that can occur. To avoid clashing with
    > any private use code points, I chose to start allocating the con-
    > tractions at 0x110000. This has worked quite nicely.

    One problem with that solution is that it may work if you're working with
    extensions of UTF-8 or extensions of UTF-32, but just doesn't work with
    UTF-16. The other is that with the other two, especially extending UTF-8,
    you are quite likely to fall foul of defensive code guarding against
    impossible codepoints. It's a shame, for I had been about to suggest it.

    There actually already is a division of the PUA in the BMP - the low end is
    for end users and the high end is for system vendors and software
    developers. What is lacking is a definition of when the boundary lies.
    This principle seems to be generally followed. Of course, there is nothing
    to stop end-users clashing - they will depend on fonts to keep the character
    apart.

    The big problem is 'agreements' which are more offers one cannot refuse.
    There is probably no way round this.

    Richard.