Re: Proposing UTF-21/24

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2007 - 01:27:07 CST

    Kenneth Whistler <kenw@sybase.com> wrote:

    > I implemented the precursor of SCSU years ago, and while optimizing
    > the encoder can be tricky, there really isn't all that much to it.
    > (The main difference between the precursor to SCSU and SCSU itself is
    > that SCSU defines a bunch of static windows, whereas the precursor
    > just did everything by calculating one dynamic window.)

    If you're talking about RCSU, I actually found implementing a good
    encoder for RCSU to be quite a bit harder than for SCSU, because you
    have many more options about where to set that one dynamic window, and
    performance is pretty miserable if it's not set perfectly. SCSU was a
    major improvement.

    http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/