Re: Proposing a DOUBLE HYPHEN punctuation mark

From: Adam Twardoch (list.adam@twardoch.com)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2007 - 11:02:59 CST

    Doug Ewell wrote:
    > I always thought the convention of using a double hyphen to indicate
    > line-splitting hyphenation at a point where lexeme-joining hyphenation
    > would have occurred anyway was a simply brilliant idea, one I wish
    > were in more widespread use.
    On a related note: in Polish typesetting practice, hard hyphens are
    always promoted to the next line if soft hyphens occur in the text. So
    if I have a sentence "Tam wisi czerwono-niebieska flaga" and the optimal
    line break occurs where the hard hyphen already exists, the text will be
    hyphenated like this:

    Tam wisi czerwono-
    -niebieska flaga.

    AFAIK, this practice is not widespread in other languages, though may
    exist in some.

    --
    Adam Twardoch