Re: Translineating hyphens (was: "Re: Proposing a DOUBLE HYPHEN punctuation mark")

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2007 - 12:28:47 CST

    Hmm. this looks like we need to address the sequence <SHY, HYPHEN> as
    well as perhaps rules on language-dependent interpretation of HYPHEN
    with or without SHY in UAX#14.

    The way the default algorithm works, getting a hyphen to not break when
    preceded by a SHY adds a certain amount of complexity (perhaps not if
    your engine is based on full regex support, but for other types of
    implementations).

    The best approach, in the context of UAX#14 might be to simply defer
    handling this to a stage right *after* the decision has been made to
    actually break a line a a line break opportunity given by a hyphen.
    (post-processing).

    Hyphen-based line break opportunities should be post-processed anyway,
    since a layout that avoids them when possible may be considered
    preferable. Not to mention examples like a -a or -b suffix, where you
    don't want to break before the single letter, even though on the
    character level it's legal.

    I think I'm going to add a section on Hyphen to the UAX#14 draft. This
    would be a good opportunity to flush out any other unusual behavior of
    that character.

    A./