Re: Proposing a DOUBLE HYPHEN punctuation mark

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2007 - 13:03:38 CST

    On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, Adam Twardoch wrote:

    > 1. I dont think the user should be forced to encode a soft hyphen there. The
    > hard hyphen is a natural hyphenation point, and most users just insert a hard
    > hyphen there.

    I think you mean "normal hyphen" (technically, either HYPHEN-MINUS or
    HYPHEN in Unicode terms). "Hard hyphen" is a somewhat dangerous word,
    since it might be understood as NON-BREAKING HYPHEN.

    > 2. Currently, some applications cant deal with such encoding properly (soft
    > hyphen followed by a hard hyphen). They give the hard hyphen a higher
    > priority than the soft hyphen that occurs right before it. They treat the
    > hard hyphen as a natural hyphenation point and hyphenate right after it,
    > without visualizing the extra hyphen.

    Yes, I noticed that when I tried it and then realized that the normal
    hyphen will allow a line break, so the soft hyphen is pretty useless.