RE: writing Chinese dialects

From: Martin J. Heijdra (mheijdra@princeton.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2007 - 09:16:53 CST

    Actually, place name pronunciation is not only a problem for "new" characters; standard characters also have different prescribed pronunciations when occurring in place names (and which they may never have outside that context). Identifying those has been a major effort of the Placename Committees: one and the same place names in characters, e.g. 四堡, may have to be officially transliterated and pronounced Sibao, Sibu or Sipu depending on which actual place and location you are referring to. Some of the official atlases now have long lists of these: character X is pronounced Y if you are talking about the place in Z, but B if in C, etc.

    Martin Heijdra