Re: ZWJ, ZWNJ and VS in Latin and other Greek-derived scripts

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2007 - 00:07:33 CST

    Richard Wordingham wrote:

    > Aside: Dare I ask which variants of Latin used in England eschew
    > ligation? I don't recall ligation in the Latin textbooks we used at school.

    Ligation of ae and oe in Latin used to be the norm, derived from mediaeval practice. In
    the past couple of centuries, linguists and classicists have increasingly discouraged it
    -- on the reasonable grounds that the Romans didn't ligate AE and OE -- and it is now very
    uncommon to find them ligated. The exception is Roman Catholic ecclesiastical publishing,
    where the mediaeval convention has never been abandoned.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC         john@tiro.ca