Re: New translation posted

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat Feb 03 2007 - 17:02:47 CST

    Hans Aberg <haberg at math dot su dot se> wrote:

    > Well, the apostrophe used in language is not semantically a right
    > single quotation mark. There might be some subtle rendering
    > differences between a U+2019 and a proper, linguistic apostrophe, like
    > in spacing.
    >
    > And if U+0027 is a multipurpose character, then a there is a gap in
    > the Unicode character set.
    >
    > And then: a new character should added.

    The NamesList file [1], which is a formal part of the Unicode Character
    Database, says U+2019 is the preferred character for apostrophe. It has
    this annotation under three characters: U+0027, U+02BC, and U+2019
    itself.

    Regardless of whether there is a school of thought that "apostrophe" and
    "right single quotation mark" should be different characters, this is
    what the Unicode Technical Committee has decided, and while they may
    change their minds — in Unicode 1.0 the preferred apostrophe was
    U+02BC — I would be amazed if they did so.

    I'm sure Ken Whistler will come along soon with a better-articulated and
    more authoritative version of this.

    [1] http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/NamesList.txt

    http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/