missing symbol?

From: William J Poser (wjposer@ldc.upenn.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2007 - 19:58:21 CST

  • Next message: Doug Ewell: "Current GB18030 mapping table?"

    I hope this isn't too trivial a question for this
    list, but is there an encoding for the tally number
    five? I don't even know a proper name for it. What
    I mean is this. When counting things off, one sometimes
    draws a vertical stroke for the first one, another vertical
    stroke for the second one, etc., like this:


    When one comes to five, instead of adding another vertical
    stroke, one crosses the four vertical strokes from
    upper right to lower left. One can approximate this
    with |||| U+0338 "Combining long solidus overlay", but
    it doesn't render very well. It isn't long enough and
    doesn't cross the first vertical. I've looked through
    the various symbol lists and combining characters but don't
    find either another combining character or a single codepoint
    for this symbol.


    This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Fri Feb 09 2007 - 20:00:48 CST