RE: Query for Validity of Thai Sequence

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2007 - 16:28:19 CST

    Regarding the question of the validity of Thai sequences, the following
    specification of the Thai support in OpenType (here the HTML version
    available on Microsoft Typography website) is worth noting:

    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otfntdev/thaiot/shaping.aspx

    Note that this small document reveals some effective requirements for the
    effective encoding of documents.

    This is important because it reveals what is supported and has chances to
    work on all major platforms (including Windows, MacOSX, Solaris and Linux).

    If there are cases not correctly handled in OpenType standard features for
    Thai, then there are chances that alternative solutions (based on alternate
    rendering engines) will not work in practice.

    So discussing this here without involving the OpenType support will have no
    effect, even if Thai is correctly handled at the Unicode string processing
    level.

      _____