Re: VS: "Universal Character Set"

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Sun Feb 18 2007 - 03:56:37 CST

    On Sun, 18 Feb 2007, Erkki I. Kolehmainen wrote:

    > I routinely use the expression UCS/Unicode

    I know that it is intended to be more understandable than any of the
    components alone, though the main motivation behind it is probably
    the desire to make everyone happy - giving tribute both to ISO and to the
    Unicode Consortium.

    The main problem with it is that it is probably _less_ understandable than
    mere "Unicode". Most people have a vague idea of what Unicode is and no
    idea of what UCS is, so they get confused with the "UCS/" part.

    The solidus (slash) "/" means many different things, including "alias",
    "or", "and", "over", subordination, separator between hierarchic parts,
    and division, to mention a few meanings. Since "UCS/Unicode" is not an
    official expression, it leaves the interpretation open; the reader needs
    to know this part of semi-official Unicode jargon in order to _know_ what
    the expression means. Usually, I suppose, people just make a guess and
    think that it's something somehow related to Unicode.