Re: Comment on PRI 98: IVD Adobe-Japan1 (pt.2)

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2007 - 18:59:58 CST

    Andrew West wrote on Thursday, March 22, 2007 2:52 PM
    Subject: Re: Comment on PRI 98: IVD Adobe-Japan1 (pt.2)

    > The reasons given for this bloat of variation sequences are:
    >
    > 1) For the convenience of Adobe -- so that all Adobe Kanji can be
    > "uniquely and explicitly identified without referencing their default
    > (IVS-less) encoding" (why? -- maybe it would be better to encode a NO
    > VARIANT character that could be applied to any character without need
    > for registration or a defined variation sequence)

    This sounds an excellent idea. How would we identify the variant specified
    thus? Would it be something like 'the glyph used for it in the code charts
    of the first major issue of Unicode from 5.0 onwards to include it'? What
    are the drawbacks to such a scheme?

    Richard.