Re: Beta version of Unibook 5.1

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser (marnen@marnen.org)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2007 - 12:04:11 CST

    On Apr 10, 2007, at 1:21 PM, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
    [...]
    > Asmus may well respond with more details, but I can assure you
    > that the answer is no. Unibook has a long history of development,
    > but it is very, very Windows-specific, and there is zero chance
    > that it could be ported to Linux.

    That's a shame. What's worse is that (judging only from the
    description on the website) there's no reason that such a program
    should be so non-portable -- there's nothing inherently Windows-
    specific mentioned in the feature set. Also, Mac OS X probably has
    the best Unicode support of any OS out there (and Apple Computer has
    been an active participant in the Consortium, IIRC), and most Linuxes
    aren't far behind, so it seems ironic that Unibook won't run on these
    operating systems.

    Frankly, keeping Unibook non-portable seems to go against the Unicode
    philosophy of inclusion and accessibility. I hope that future
    versions of Unibook will be developed in a more portable way, or that
    a similar tool will be developed for non-Windows operating systems.

    > --Ken

    Best,

    --
    Marnen Laibow-Koser