RE: Beta version of Unibook 5.1

From: vunzndi@vfemail.net
Date: Wed Apr 11 2007 - 03:32:51 CST

    At the risk of being shot down in flames, as a Linux user I could
    suggest an answer -- one might describe Unicode support for a OS as
    the proportion of software that supports certain advanced features of
    Unicode out of the box. What is advanced changes with time. Regarding
    software the unicode supoort of the out of the box text editor, word
    processor, web browser, spread sheet and terminal is what I would
    usually look at first. When Mac OS updates then tend to update across
    the board, which means it always scores well on such criteria. Windows
    does not seem to do across the board updates, I am not sure why this
    is. The same could also be said of Linux, the cause being that Linux
    has many independent developers.

    Back in 2002 a good criteria was surrogate support at which point in
    time all the main applications on Mac OS supported surrogates, the
    same could not be said for Windows or Linux.

    Other criteria one could use are support for variation selectors, or
    stacking diacritics. On windows one could also add which criteria
    which applications support fall back fonts.

    Quoting Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com>:

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org]
    > On Behalf Of Marnen Laibow-Koser
    >
    >> Also, Mac OS X probably has
    >> the best Unicode support of any OS out there
    >
    > I'm curious: how would you describe "the best Unicode support of any
    > OS out there"?
    >

    > Peter

    This message sent through Virus Free Email
    http://www.vfemail.net