Re: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E)

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Fri May 04 2007 - 15:11:41 CST

    Karl Pentzlin wrote:

    > JH> ... in a typographically sophisticated OpenType font,
    > JH> one might find a variant glyph for the @ that is raised to align with all caps settings or
    > JH> might even ... use an uppercase form of A within the @ loop.

    > The @ is a symbol without any case properties. Thus, you compare
    > apples and oranges here.

    Actually, no, it was Frank Ellermann who was comparing the apples to the oranges. I was
    examining his comarison, looking at the implications of it, and pointing out why the
    parallel to the existing convention of signalling desired ligature glyph display using ZWJ
    made more sense. This at least is comparing apples to apples, even if one eventually
    decides that one species of apple deserves to be encoded while another does not.

    And that is the intent of my comments: not to oppose the encoding of the uppercase eszett
    on principle, but to question what seem to me assumptions in the proposal and to point out
    some attendant problems with the encoding and practical benefits of a different approach.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Gulf Islands, BC      tiro@tiro.com