Re: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E)

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Fri May 04 2007 - 15:20:42 CST

    Asmus wrote:

    > The character in question is an interesting case, since it represents an
    > orthography that is at variance with the 'official' rules, which require
    > that ß in uppercase is represented by SS. In a rule-oriented culture
    > like the German one, the documented and continued existence of such a
    > deliberate variation from standard orthography is an interesting
    > phenomenon.

    I think it is a testimony to the fundamental illogic of a bicameral writing system
    containing two different lowercase elements being mapped to the same uppercase elements.
    The variation from standard orthography persists, despite the evident failure over more
    than a hundred years to affect orthographic reform, because it makes more sense than the
    standard orthography. The ß should have an uppercase equivalent. It is crazy that one does
    not exist. Apart from fulfilling the basic structural logic of a bicameral alphabet, just
    think how much simpler so many aspects of German text processing would be if there were
    such a character with a standard case mapping to the lowercase ß!

    The irony of the recent exchanges is not lost on me:

    On the one hand, we have Marnen Laibow-Koser, who thinks that this character should *not*
    exist, but that it does, and therefore needs to be encoded.

    On the other hand, we have me, who thinks that this character *should* exist, but that it
    does not, and therefore does not need to be encoded.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Gulf Islands, BC      tiro@tiro.com