RE: Cased @ (was: Re: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E))

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri May 04 2007 - 19:50:51 CST

    From: Karl Pentzlin [mailto:karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de]

    > I referred to the symbol "@" as it is encoded in Unicode now, as a
    > symbol (general category Po: Punctuation, other) with no case properties.

    First, I'm not trying to start a discussion of @. The discussion of @ was for purposes of comparison.

    Yes, @ is encoded with certain properties. And ß is encoded with certain properties. I took your statement to be a comment in the realm of abstract characters in the world as opposed to specific character properties in a coding standard, and that is the realm in which I was speaking. What we do in a coding standard doesn't stop the realm of abstract characters in the real world from changing -- that is the point I was making. And in particular, John was examining Frank's comparison with @ by discussing an uppercase typeform for it, and in a world that changes we cannot declare that to be an apple-and-oranges comparison.

    Peter