Re: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E)

From: Frank Ellermann (nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de)
Date: Sat May 05 2007 - 03:56:24 CST

    Peter Constable wrote:

    > trying to win an argument by declaring the typeform in
    > question to be fictitious is not helpful, IMO.

    Well, I think we have already collected some facts about
    this "misbegotten character", as John put it:

    It's not really "uppercase", there are no words beginning
    with eszett, and there are no mixed case uses of eszett.
    It's "title case".

    It's historically not related to Latn SS, but to Latf SZ,
    as the name says. I've seen the SZ in "GROSZER" contexts,
    e.g. on a globe as "GROSZER UND STILLER OZEAN" (a mouthful
    for 'pacific' in German language).

    Frank