Re: UTN #31 and direct compression of code points

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue May 08 2007 - 01:25:33 CDT

    Richard Wordingham <richard dot wordingham at ntlworld dot com> wrote:

    >> On a large alphabet like Unicode, this conversion table will have a
    >> very significant size,...
    >
    > That entirely depends on how one stores the table. One need only
    > store the entries for the characters that occur in the text.

    That is exactly the point I've been trying to make about the supposed
    "large alphabet" effect. This e-mail contains no Cyrillic characters,
    and a Unicode-based Huffman encoding of it would not need to allocate
    space for Cyrillic characters, even though there are hundreds of
    Cyrillic characters in Unicode.

    http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/