Re: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E)

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Tue May 08 2007 - 04:26:17 CDT

    Asmus Freytag wrote on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 6:51 AM
    Subject: Re: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E)

    > Given that the use of an uppercase form of ß is clearly a variation of a
    > (currently more common) practice of using the lowercase form for the same
    > purpose, a search for a solution should start from the ß and not from the
    > equivalence to the SS. Because, while that equivalence is present in the
    > standard orthography, it is explicitly *rejected* by users of all three
    > alternative ways. Startign from the ß would follow the principle of least
    > surprise to the users and implementers.

    Are you suggesting <U+00DF LATIN SMALL LETTER SHARP S, U+FE00 VARIATION
    SELECTOR-1>? If CAPITAL LETTER SHARP S were rejected as a glyph variant of
    SMALL LETTER SHARP S, there would be a case for this combination, loathsome
    as several will find it. It would not preclude ultimately encoding CAPITAL
    LETTER SHARP S, and it will provide suitable fallback behaviour if variation
    selectors are handled properly. (I still have to use a system that insists
    on displaying ZWJ and CGJ.)

    Richard.