RE: The glyph of the CAPITAL SHARP S

From: Dean Harding (dean.harding@dload.com.au)
Date: Wed May 09 2007 - 23:48:46 CDT

    > Latin letters have a feature not to forget: letters should remain readable
    > and immediately recognizable from their distinctive top half... (this is
    > true for both lowercase and capital letters), otherwise the baseline must
    > have a very strong difference (such as remaining blank, as between E and
    F)
    > The middle slice (near x-height) should carry no visual information in
    > capitals (this is reserved for lowercase letters).

    Wow, I'd never heard of that "feature" before. Are you sure it's on purpose,
    though? I mean, there are a *lot* of exceptions. E & F you mentioned, but
    there's also B & P & R, X & Y, O & Q or g & q, i & j, v & y and possibly
    more. They all look identical in the top-half (it depends on which font you
    use as well - in Arial, i & j are identical in the top-half, but not so in
    Verdana for example)

    Dean.