RE: The glyph of the CAPITAL SHARP S

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed May 09 2007 - 23:31:25 CDT

    I tried it, the difficulty is to reduce the blackness for the top of the
    ligature, in serif fonts or fonts with strokes with variable weight for
    their strokes (like Times and in many existing fonts...)

    Latin letters have a feature not to forget: letters should remain readable
    and immediately recognizable from their distinctive top half... (this is
    true for both lowercase and capital letters), otherwise the baseline must
    have a very strong difference (such as remaining blank, as between E and F)
    The middle slice (near x-height) should carry no visual information in
    capitals (this is reserved for lowercase letters).

    > I've got an idea for a CAPITAL LONG S though. ;-)

    My simple idea would be a capital J, just turned 180 degrees. That's not the
    most difficult letter.

    > Seriously though, I find it intersting that Murray liked 3a. It is
    > built along the same principle as John's Trajan test was... and is
    > quite similar to what the Leipzig 15th edition of the Duden did.

    I like also your 2b or 3b suggestions, which is similar to my FU[SS]BALL
    suggestion...