Re: The glyph of the CAPITAL SHARP S

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Thu May 10 2007 - 00:08:55 CDT

    Philippe Verdy wrote:

    > Latin letters have a feature not to forget: letters should remain readable
    > and immediately recognizable from their distinctive top half...

    Why? Is there evidence that we read the top halves of letters rather than the whole
    letters? Do people frequently encounter text in which the bottom half of letters is obscured?

    An observable characteristic is not necessarily a functional requirement.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Gulf Islands, BC      tiro@tiro.com