Re: The glyph of the CAPITAL SHARP S

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Thu May 10 2007 - 00:46:59 CDT

    Rather than a lot of non-Germans and people who are not type designers or typographers
    making suggestions about what this German character should look like, it seems to me that
    the DIN should have a competition to design the model form for inclusion in standards
    glyph charts and identify acceptable variations selected by a jury of German designers and
    publishers. These are, after all, the people who will be using this thing.

    Since Linotype, as a German company, is the font publisher that is most likely to be
    affected by the encoding of this character, and who will be under the most pressure, if
    use of the character becomes widespread, to add support for it to their library, it seems
    to me that inviting their input on the design would be a sensible move for DIN.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Gulf Islands, BC      tiro@tiro.com