Re: Geographical language data

From: Christopher Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Sun May 27 2007 - 17:06:37 CDT

    Eric Muller wrote:

    > I just noticed two products from Global Mapping International: the
    > Seamless Digital Chart of the World Base Map
    > (<http://www.gmi.org/wlms/dcw.htm>), and the World Language Mapping
    > System (<http://www.gmi.org/wlms/index.htm>). If I understand correctly,
    > the later is essentially a GIS form of the Ethnologue data, and is used
    > to produce the maps in the printed edition of The Ethnologue. I am
    > impressed by the ability to create maps such as those at
    > <http://www.gmi.org/wlms/users/huffman/>.

    Over ten years ago the Linguasphere project produced some very nice linguistic
    maps which were supposed to be published as an atlas of the world's languages. I
    saw the original maps but don't know if the atlas was ever published - it would
    have been pretty expensive to do so.

    Someone must have the original files - and it would be a whole lot cheaper to
    publish these in digital format than as a printed atlas.

    Linguasphere also had a language classification and code scheme which many
    people preferred to that of SIL
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguasphere_language_code>

    - Chris