Re: Devanagari composing help needed

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser (marnen@marnen.org)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2007 - 02:35:18 CDT

    On Jun 7, 2007, at 12:27 AM, Ambarish Sridharanarayanan wrote:
    > The virama is for the 091f; the vowel sign for the 0930. The
    > cluster is thus ṣṭrī. Without the virama, it would be ṣṭarī.

    I don't think I buy that. Doesn't the slash through the ट represent
    a following र? If so, then the ट needs no virama, and indeed
    should not have one, at least by the spelling rules I have learned.
    Despite ट not having a half-form, no virama is necessary because
    following र is not written as a full consonant.

    In other words:
    ष्ट्री = ṣṭrī (no virama, half र)
    ष्टरी = ṣṭarī (no virama, full र)
    but what we have is
    ष्ट्र्ी (virama, half r) = "ṣṭr'ī"??
    which as far as I can tell doesn't make any sense! It is definitely
    not ṣṭrī or ṣṭarī.

    Best,

    --
    Marnen Laibow-Koser