Re: hexatridecimal internationalisation

From: Hans Aberg (haberg@math.su.se)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2007 - 04:48:01 CDT

    On 20 Jun 2007, at 04:00, JFC Morfin wrote:

    >>> Hans Aberg has replied:
    >>>
    >>> Only that the Greek alphabet has less than 26 characters,
    >>> and it has a tradition of using particular letters as
    >>> digits.
    >>
    >> In the month since the first post, not much information has been
    >> given.
    >
    > What do you want me to tell more? You perfectly describe the poblem.
    > For every alphabet with more than 26 characters - which to chose
    > For those with less, is there an existing or possible solution
    > already devised in other cases?

    It seems you are free to do whatever you want, as their likely is no
    standard usage :-). With Latin letters, for various n-base, one just
    add the first n - 10 letters to the digits 0-9. I think GMP <http://
    gmplib.org/> has some support for it. The ancient Greek used a
    different system; perhaps it was to use the first nine letters for
    1-9, the next nine for 10-90, the next nine for 100-900, and so on,
    starting over from the beginning whenever needed. The Babylonians and
    some Indians of America used base 60, I think. So there is nothing
    particular with base 36 from the historical point of view. I do not
    know why it is used in modern times. And others say hexadecimal
    numbers are not localized, making it unclear why one should do it
    with other n-base. There is a strong mathematical tradition to only
    use Latin and Greek letters, with a few exceptions. So math generally
    isn't localized, I think, in modern usage, at least not at the pro
    (technical) level.

       Hans Aberg