Re: hexatridecimal internationalisation

From: George W Gerrity (g.gerrity@gwg-associates.com.au)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2007 - 10:07:49 CDT

    On 2007-06-22, at 23:38, JFC Morfin wrote:

    > Thank to everyone who commented. Very usefull.
    > I understand what you say: ask the math people. Seems quite
    > reasonable as no system has been devised yet.

    Nor will it be: see below.

    > Since I started investigated that issue I found several
    > applications. Also that bitridecimal - that Greek and Arabic cand
    > support - and quadrisextadecimal have a huge future in computers
    > and natural processors (nature seems to be quadrary?).

    As a retired Computer Scientist who has published on Computer
    Arithmetic and Computer Design and someone well versed in Number
    Theory, I can assure you that there is absolutely no future for
    (human-readable) representations in bases larger than 16, even
    assuming that future internal representations do not use numbers
    based on a power of 2 (the smallest computationally-useful Prime
    Number), but some power of another small Prime Number, such as 3, 5,
    7, 11, or even 13. Reading base 64, for instance, as groupings of 4
    hex digits per each quadrisextadecimal digit, is just as (in)
    comprehensible as replacing each of the 4 hex digits with one digit
    in the range 0–9,a–z,α–ω,ד–א, for example.

    It seems to me that a lot of effort has been wasted in discussing
    something that has no earthly and not even any theoretical use. Could
    we drop it?

    George
    ------
    Dr George W Gerrity Ph: +61 2 6386 3431
    GWG Associates Fax: +61 2 6386 4431
    P O Box 229 Time: +10 hours (ref GMT)
    Harden, NSW 2587 PGP RSA Public Key Fingerprint:
    AUSTRALIA 73EF 318A DFF5 EB8A 6810 49AC 0763 AF07