Re: FW: that font-letter spacing problem - MS Word issue?

From: Aiet Kolkhi (aietkolkhi@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2007 - 01:31:06 CDT

    Hello Carl,
    unfortunately Arial Unicode MS does have spacing problems with Georgian
    characters.

    I would advise using different fonts for Georgian. Windows 200, XP and Vista
    come with Sylfaen, which supports Georgian and does not have intercharacter
    spacing problems. In order to have Georgian language support activated, one
    needs to go to Control Panel > Regional Settings > Languages and tick
    "Install support for complex script...".

    Sylfaen font can also be downloaded from various online sources.

    Another neat solution would be to download open-source, professionally
    hinted Georgian typeface called BPG Glaho [1] by BPG Info-Tech.

    This typeface defaults for Georgian language support on majority of Linux
    platforms.

    I would advise installing the same typeface on OS X, though the upcoming
    version of OS X, Leopard, will ship with Georgian font.

    Regarding the correct keyboard layouts, Linux distribution already come with
    popular transliterated layout, Vista comes with transliterated layout and OS
    X comes with no Georgian layout at all.

    Please let me know if you require Georgian keyboard layouts for MS XP or
    2000, or any version of Apple OS X and I will send the installation
    information.

    Best regards,

    Aiet Kolkhi

    http://www.Gakartuleba.org