Re: [hebrew] Re: Karaite manuscript

From: Simon Montagu (smontagu@smontagu.org)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2007 - 04:43:41 CDT

    Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > John Hudson wrote:
    >> Yes, recreating this document with current software and fonts would be a
    >> nightmare. But these things exist, and someday someone is going to want to
    >> produce an electronic edition for study.
    >
    > Given that the authors of this document needed to use color to make the
    > distinction between hebrew points and the Arabic text, that was entered in a
    > separate flow, I fear this document can't qualify as being ever transcodable
    > into plain text (simply because color color distinctions are currently not
    > encodable).

    This seems to me a non sequitur.

    The vowel points in the Aleppo Codex also appear to have been entered in
    a separate flow, and a slightly different colored ink. This isn't
    apparent in the reproductions available online, but it's quite clear in
    the codex itself (and the colophon states that the consonants and vowels
    were written by different scribes).