RE: Subj: Amount of Space Unicode Takes

From: Kent Karlsson (kent.karlsson14@comhem.se)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2007 - 13:46:06 CDT

    Brian Gould wrote:
    > For example, if 99% of my data could be stored as US ASCII, I
    > might just
    > store all of my data that way and use escapes for the few special
    > characters.

    Yes. But why use hex escapes? They are needlessly costly (if space
    is scarce) especially if may characters would be escaped, and they
    make the source unreadable. Why not use UTF-8 directly instead of
    relying on hex escapes?

    I'm sure you'll get lots of other details from others, so I will
    keep this message short.

            /kent k