RE: Subj: Amount of Space Unicode Takes

From: Brian Gould (bgould@viapeople.com)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2007 - 13:23:22 CDT

    I have had to deal with this issue as well. Part of the answer depends on
    what percentage of data must be represented outside of your normal language.

    For example, if 99% of my data could be stored as US ASCII, I might just
    store all of my data that way and use escapes for the few special
    characters.

    The other part deals with what kind of programming can be done on your chip.
    Naturally, you can have straight Unicode (even compressed) and
    decode/uncompress on the fly.