RE: Generic base characters

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2007 - 14:58:51 CDT

    The problem is the multi-component vowel marks: there's no way to assign (e.g.) 09CB BENGALI VOWEL SIGN O to a non-zero class. And because you can't do it for 09CB, you can't do it for the characters that make up its canonical decomposition, 09C7 and 09BE. And since you can't do it for those, it also can't be done for any of the left- or right-positioning vowel signs.

    There are plenty of things about which we can say "Such-and-such SHOULD have been done." Reality is that these are all assigned to class 0, and that's not changing. That's what we have to implement against.

    Peter