Re: Titles and headings in Georgian script

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser (marnen@marnen.org)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2007 - 11:48:27 CDT

    On Jul 24, 2007, at 12:05 PM, Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

    > On Jul 24, 2007, at 10:02 AM, Andreas Prilop wrote:
    >
    >> How do I write/specify headings in Georgian script?
    >>
    >> Unicode has only one set of modern Georgian letters at
    >> U+10D0 to U+10F0.
    >>
    >> The Unicode Standard 5.0, section 7.7, does mention "mtavruli style"
    >> but I cannot find any information how to write it -
    >> or specify it, for example, in HTML.

    [...]
    > The "mtavruli style" referred to in the Standard is presumably a
    > reference to Asomtavruli (although I haven't looked up the relevant
    > passage to be certain).
    [...]

    Ah, OK. Having looked up the Standard, I now see that my assumption
    was incorrect. The Mtavruli style referred to at the bottom of p.
    249 is what I described here:
    > However, Georgian script has been influenced by the surrounding
    > bicameral alphabets, to the extent that newspaper headlines and
    > such are often written in a "capital" style where the letters are
    > stretched to be all the same height (no ascenders or descenders).

    Note especially the last sentence of the paragraph in the Standard:
    "Mtavruli is a font style, similar to SMALL CAPS in the Latin
    script". I would take this to mean that it is outside the scope of
    Unicode, and should be applied using higher-level mechanisms.

    Best,

    --
    Marnen Laibow-Koser
    marnen@marnen.org