RE: Titles and headings in Georgian script

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2007 - 12:30:39 CDT

    Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
    > Ah, OK. Having looked up the Standard, I now see that my assumption
    > was incorrect. The Mtavruli style referred to at the bottom of p.
    > 249 is what I described here:
    > > However, Georgian script has been influenced by the surrounding
    > > bicameral alphabets, to the extent that newspaper headlines and
    > > such are often written in a "capital" style where the letters are
    > > stretched to be all the same height (no ascenders or descenders).
    >
    > Note especially the last sentence of the paragraph in the Standard:
    > "Mtavruli is a font style, similar to SMALL CAPS in the Latin
    > script". I would take this to mean that it is outside the scope of
    > Unicode, and should be applied using higher-level mechanisms.

    So you know the answer:

    Do this exactly like with Latin text in small capitals. Encode the normal
    text in HTML text elements, and apply style on top of it using CSS (font
    size adjustment, or a small-caps style available in fonts, but I doubt
    you'll find many Georgian fonts with glyphs defined for the small-caps
    style).