Re: UAX#14-20: undesriable line breaking opportunities (parenthese and quotation marks)

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2007 - 00:10:38 CDT

    On 7/26/2007 12:39 AM, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > Hmm... Why does it not work, say in Internet Explorer, Firefox, and even MS
    > Word ??? The first rule of LB30 should avoid breaking "word(s)", but I'm
    > still seeing the line break everywhere between "word" and "(s)"

    I think you are leaping to an assumption here. UAX#14 provides a
    specification, but that does not guarantee that all platforms and
    browsers want to be conformant with it.

    The behavior of ordinary letters and punctuation under line breaking is
    fully overridable - Unicode provides a default specification, but
    there's no requirement anywhere that anyone must implement the
    overridable parts the way UAX#14 specifies them - *except* if they
    expressly claim conformance to that algorithm.

    In other words, if your complaint is with the browsers, you are barking
    up the wrong tree.

    A./

    PS: one conformant implementation, albeit a conceptual one, can be
    found in Unibook.
    http://www.unicode.org/unibook/