Specification for XID_Start and XID_Continue

From: Martin v. Löwis (martin@v.loewis.de)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2007 - 11:50:20 CDT

    I'm trying to locate the precise specification for the
    XID_Start and XID_Continue properties. According to

    http://unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UCD.html

    they are derived properties, so there should be an
    algorithm somewhere describing how the are computed
    (given other properties). The UCD says that the
    specification is in UAX#31, which says I should
    read

    http://unicode.org/reports/tr31/#NFKC_Modifications

    However, looking at 5.1, I cannot find a precise
    specification of these properties. For example,
    5.1.2 says "Certain characters...", but does not
    seem to provide a complete list of such characters.
    It ends with "In particular, the following four
    characters...". Again, that reads like an example -
    is it meant as a complete specification?

    Likewise, 5.1.3 talks about "certain Arabic presentation
    forms", without giving a complete list which precisely
    are excluded from XID_Start and XID_Continue.

    Any insights appreciated,

    Martin