RE: Western musical symbols font

From: William J Poser (wjposer@ldc.upenn.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2007 - 16:42:57 CDT

    Peter Constable writes:
    >What you can and can't do with a font depends on the license granted, not speculation on where the IP lies.

    That is false. If there's no IP, there's no need for a license.
    To my knowledge, the encoding of a font is not subject to copyright.
    If, therefore, someone were to take a font that was in the public domain
    and change the encoding to one he or she created, he or she would not
    have a copyright in the resulting font and would have no legal power to
    control its distribution and use.

    I might of course be wrong about the copyright status of encodings, but
    speculation as to where the IP lies is highly relevant.