RE: Western musical symbols font

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2007 - 02:22:59 CDT

    From: William J Poser [mailto:wjposer@ldc.upenn.edu]

    >>What you can and can't do with a font depends on the license granted, not speculation on where the IP lies.

    Bill responded:

    > That is false. If there's no IP, there's no need for a license.

    And in response to another message:

    > In the absence of a license, you have no right to do anything with the software. Your ability to do anything with it arises from your acceptance of the license, which therefore governs what you may do.

    A digital font is a software IP item. What a licensee of a font can or cannot do with a font is determined by the license agreement.

    Hans Aberg replied to my message:

    > If there is a valid license entered.

    If you have a copy of a font provided by some vendor/distributor authorized by the owner of the IP, there are some licensing terms applicable, expressed or unexpressed. If the vendor has chosen not to communicate license terms, then I'd guess both they and you are in a legally ambiguous situation. But if there is are license terms that have been communicated, then *that* is what determines whether you are allowed to make changes to the software, not any evaluation you may make as to whether the change constitutes IP or not.

    Peter