Re: Normalization in panlingual application

From: Mike (mike-list@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2007 - 14:46:34 CDT

    > But that's due to IDN's restricted domain, yes? I guess my thought was
    > that, if the transformations from IDN can be applied to a larger domain
    > of characters, then IDN might provide a fifth normalization form
    > appropriate for a broad class of applications.

    IDN is based on "stringprep" defined in RFC 3454. One of the (optional)
    steps is normalization using NFKC, which is performed after removing
    certain characters and replacing others. The "profile" of stringprep
    used in IDN is called nameprep which is defined in RFC 3491. Note that
    stringprep is currently limited to using the characters defined in
    Unicode version 3.2.

    Mike