RE: Normalization in panlingual application

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2007 - 17:47:57 CDT

    Asmus Freytag [mailto:asmusf@ix.netcom.com] wrote:
    > Normalization is about making interchange more reliable, by removing
    > options. For example, applying NFD removes precomposed characters,
    > reducing the number of ways in which the same information can be
    > encoded. Adding options to the normalization forms protocols undoes one
    > of their major benefits for reliable interchange.

    I know that. But I did not discuss about NFC/NFD. Only about NFKC/NFKD that
    was not designed for interoperable interchange purpose.

    The fact that IDN makes some use of it (now in a non-conforming way because
    it uses its own rules to define its own sets of mappings, and to preserve
    compatibility with future evolutions, it does not automatically integrate
    all Unicode additions) is another problem, but anyway IDN is not a Unicode
    specification and its correct implementation is not mandatory for Unicode
    conformance.

    I see the nameprep process as just a use of Unicode, that already assumes
    the fact to be considered a non conforming process (given that it rejects
    now some canonical equivalences andconsiders instead some characters as
    invalid).