Re: Composition of not included Chinese characters

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser (marnen@marnen.org)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2007 - 17:04:47 CDT

    On Sep 24, 2007, at 4:27 PM, John H. Jenkins wrote:

    > On Sep 24, 2007, at 12:55 PM, Gerrit Sangel wrote:
    >
    >> I want to write Biáng biáng (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biang)
    >> in an
    >> ordinary text. As far as I know, the character is not included in
    >> Unicode, so
    >> it seems that there is no possibility to just write it.
    >>

    > It is not currently in Unicode, but the UTC has submitted to the
    > IRG for inclusion in a future version. FWIW, it's IDS is ⿺辶⿱
    > 穴⿰月⿰⿲⿱幺長⿱言馬⿱幺長刂.

    Unfortunately, this is not a legitimate IDS. On p. 427 ( http://
    www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.0.0/ch12.pdf ), the Standard states
    that no legitimate IDS can contain more than 16 Unicode code points,
    but yours contains 18. A silly restriction, to be sure, but that's
    the way the Standard is currently written. So I guess at the moment
    there's no way to represent this character in legitimate Unicode?

    Best,

    --
    Marnen Laibow-Koser
    marnen@marnen.org