Re: Composition of not included Chinese characters

From: vunzndi@vfemail.net
Date: Mon Sep 24 2007 - 19:42:56 CDT

    Quoting Gerrit Sangel <z0idberg@gmx.de>:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a question concerning Han characters:
    >
    > I want to write Biáng biáng (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biang) in an
    > ordinary text. As far as I know, the character is not included in Unicode, so
    > it seems that there is no possibility to just write it.
    >
    > I read about the Ideographic Description Characters, but as far as I?ve
    > understood it, they are only for graphically description of a character, so
    > the reader has to compose it for himself in his mind or rather on a sheet of
    > paper.

    Yes and no. This is what people do, it would be acceptable for an
    application to display an IDS as a single glyph, though I do not know
    of any applications that do such at present.

    > But I?d like to write these characters in a usual text so that the user can
    > read it normally. Would this be possible or is there a plan to offer this
    > feature (maybe something like Cangjie)?

    As mentiontioned above displaying as a single character is allowed.

    > I think, something like latin ligatures with Opentype features would be a way
    > to do this, so that the font displays different composed characters depending
    > on what single characters are written. But this could be a mess because there
    > are already so much encoded characters which would then offer several ways to
    > write a character.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Gerrit

    This message sent through Virus Free Email
    http://www.vfemail.net