RE: Public Review Issues: several closing today

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2007 - 02:04:18 CDT

    I hope that the two UTS updates whose reviewal is closed today will be
    considered jointly, because they do interact:
    - UTS 10 (UCA) : for matching characters (see section 8.)
    - UTS 18 (Regular expressions) : currently very weak at definining the level
    of matching (characters? Default grapheme clusters like in UTS 10? Or
    collation elements, the most generic case that contain both definitions,
    depending only on the tailoring of locales).

    This has caused lots of different interpretations and discussions here. If
    UTS 18 is too restrictive, it may break UTS 10 rules for matching strings
    (independently of the advanced string matching that UTS 18 provides for
    alternations and additional conditions, so that regexp searches should still
    be an extension of UTS 10 for string matching, permitting everything that
    UTS 10 already provides).