Re: Submission to ConScript Unicode Registry: Sylabica

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@roadrunner.com)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2007 - 02:45:40 CDT

    Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

    > I'm not sure why this script would be more useful than a subset of IPA
    > for noting Polish phonology in a way that remains easy to read by
    > readers of standard Polish orthography (because most of IPA symbols
    > are based on Latin letter forms, with just some variants borrowed from
    > Greek equivalents letters).

    People invent scripts for a variety of reasons: some for fun, some to
    teach themselves something about writing systems, and some because the
    inventors truly believe the target language is better suited to the new
    script than the existing script. (Hangul falls into the last category.)

    NEW URL -->  http://home.roadrunner.com/~dewell  <-- NEW URL