RE: Submission to ConScript Unicode Registry: Sylabica

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2007 - 21:45:53 CDT

    Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:
    > I would be glad if CSUR registered my script Sylabica. It's described at
    > <http://qrnik.knm.org.pl/~qrczak/sylabica/>.
    >
    > While it doesn't really have users besides me, I think it's interesting
    > from a linguistic point of view (Polish-specific), and it looks nice.

    It may have some use for studying Polish spelling (not orthography) using a
    formal notation; anyway I like the principle inherited from Hangul for
    algorithmically forming syllabic graphic ligatures (including for the
    encoding extension in the private plane for precomposed syllables if this
    helps supporting them).

    I'm not sure however that you must call them "ligatures" (ligatures are
    normally typographic enhancements for legibility and they remain optional
    even if they are often recommanded, depending on the font styles actually
    used). If the ligatures are optional, it's best not to encode them at all,
    like you did; but if they carry a semantic distinction in your notation,
    then only they become mandatory and merit specific encoding (and so they are
    no longer ligatures but unbreakable letters or clusters).

    I'm not sure why this script would be more useful than a subset of IPA for
    noting Polish phonology in a way that remains easy to read by readers of
    standard Polish orthography (because most of IPA symbols are based on Latin
    letter forms, with just some variants borrowed from Greek equivalents
    letters).