Re: Which characters to use for (pronounced leh-nerd skin-nerd)

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2007 - 14:54:40 CDT

    > Which characters to use for (pronounced leh-nerd skin-nerd)?

    Would this be a good candidate for a FAQ page?

    Kenneth Whistler wrote,

    > Certainly the "pronunciation" doesn't pass muster as an actual
    > representation, because it wouldn't need 4 stress marks. And
    > the e-acutes don't follow American dictionaries, either. They
    > might have been a substitution for schwas that the font didn't
    > have.

    They might have been for mere effect, as in the band name
    "Blue Ă–yster Cult" and others. (See the Wikipedia article
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_umlaut
    if interested in gratuitous diacritics in band names.)

    The intended audience might be expected to mentally remove the
    diacritics and just pronounce it "leh-nerd skin-nerd". (I've
    always pronounced it "linnerd skinnerd", which is probably
    close enough.)

    Best regards,

    James Kass